Committee Chief Coordinator AWD Tilak, in his press statement, said the jury members of the fact-finding team, including retired High Court Judges, police department officials, and journalists, were deployed to look into the Thoothukudi police firing incident. "This fact-finding team sent a memorandum to the Chief Minister MK Stalin. In their report, they said the National Human Rights Commission of India (NHRC) had taken a suo motu cognizance of the incident on May 23, 2018, but closed the same on October 25, 2018, under the principal pretext that adequate compensation had been paid to the victims, and that appropriate steps had been taken by the then-state government to restore normalcy and peace in this regard within a short period," he said
"Subsequently, Henri Tiphagne, Executive Director of People's Watch, filed a writ petition before the Madras High Court, praying for the re-opening of the case, following which a notice in this regard was issued simultaneously to the NHRC, which has not responded. The matter is still pending disposal," he added.